and Pharmacy Personnel

NCPHP provides North Carolina’s pharmacists and pharmacy personnel with identification, evaluation, monitoring and advocacy support for substance use issues. This allows them to participate in a sustainable recovery program and serve the public in a safe manner.


NCPHP works collaboratively with the North Carolina Board of Pharmacy (NCBOP) to protect the public by evaluating, monitoring, and referring for assessment and/or treatment, pharmacists and pharmacy personnel where there is a concern regarding the ability to practice pharmacy with safety and skill due to a substance use disorder.



NCPHP’s referrals come from the NCBOP, hospitals, employers, colleagues, and self-referrals, among other sources.


Self-referrals are well received and highly recommended, as preemptively seeking assistance demonstrates a willingness to address a potential issue before patient care is affected. If you are considering self-referral, you may want to complete these self-assessment questionnaires.


The NCBOP is dedicated to helping pharmacists and pharmacy personnel dealing with substance use disorders and, in doing so, fulfilling their mission of protecting the public. Pharmacists and pharmacy personnel can self-refer to NCPHP and remain anonymous to the NCBOP. If you are considering self- referral or referring someone you know, please contact us for help in doing so.


Learn more about referrals.

How do I know if I need help from NCPHP with a substance use disorder?